2.11.11

Joy: "Cherpi" for Luke

One of my favorite things about Bulgaria is this whole "Cherpi" concept.  This basically means if there's even the slightest reason to celebrate, do it, and do it with style... with chocolates, with buns, with rolls, with cake, etc.  When you have something to celebrate, you "cherpi"... you buy chocolates, cake, buns, crackers, drinks, etc. and give them out to your co-workers, friends, students, teachers, neighbors.  You tell them what you are celebrating, and they "wish" good things for you!  Good health, good luck, success, long life, and the list goes on.

Having experienced this many times since living here, I've realized that Bulgarians do a MUCH better job celebrating than Americans.  Not only do they celebrate our normal festivities (birthdays, anniversaries, weddings, new babies), they ALSO celebrate name days, getting a new house, a new job/first salary... they even say "Happy New Hair-do" if you got a new hair cut!

I've thought to myself several times that I can't wait to "cherpi" for something...

So, today, I implemented this wonderful part of their culture at my school by...

CELEBRATING MY NEW NEPHEW, 
LUKE AARON WYNDHAM!!!

He was born on Thursday, October 27th.  He was 7 lbs. and 15 oz. and 19 inches long.  And, guess what!  He has RED HAIR!
This is very exciting and SO worth celebrating!!

I had these pictures printed:


Isn't he the most adorable thing!?  Ah!!


I wish I could pinch his cheeks SO BAD.

Along with those pictures, I made some banana muffins and cinnamon cake, and bought chocolates and one of their famous sweet breads (all sweet things for this sweet little boy, one of my colleagues said!):



My colleagues partook of these goodies and "wished" Luke wonderful things: long life, good health, success, health for his family, and much, much more.

I loved this most, because I already want to shout to the rooftop that I have a sweet, cute new little nephew... and, in Bulgaria, it's expected!

Luke, I can't wait to see you, kiss your cheeks, and rub your red-headed little head!

Aunt Joy

3 comments:

  1. How awesome Joy! - cousin Anna :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I understand your joy!! Congrats on the new red head in your life friend!! Love you and miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations Auntie Joy! I know its hard being so many 1000 miles away..but thank God for all this technology! Don't think this will help but our son was 2 1/2 yrs old before the rest of our family got to see him. We were in Germany when he was born..and no one was able to come at the time. Hopefully you will get to see your new nephew in person, before he is that old! Take care and keep on Celebrating!

    ReplyDelete