29.6.11

Joy: Colleagues

I have about 40 colleagues, and I'm slowly but surely getting to know each of them.  One of the coolest things I've observed is that they really like hanging out with each other.  On top of that, they are very welcoming & friendly to me.  Not surprised.  Bulgarians have continually impressed me in that aspect.

Thought you might enjoy getting to know some of these people, whom I will probably get to know VERY well.  I am using code names just in case...

We'll call the first "Gold"... she is an absolute sunshine.  She's always smiling, always cheerful.  One of those people who immediately make you feel included.  Thankfully, she walks the same direction I do for a bit :)

Then, there's "Health," a new friend of mine, who also walks my way.  She's even gone so far as to call me when she leaves her apartment so we can meet in the mornings, too!  Her son is a designer (clothes and jewelry)... she's already told him that I want to see some of his stuff.  Sweet!

There's a gentleman, whom we'll call "John," who knows where we could go camping, closeby to Plovdiv.  He also was nice enough to buy some sunflower seeds for everyone today :)

Another gentleman, "Happy," helped me carry a lot of the household items I bought from the local market.  Very convenient.

"Anne" lives VERY close to us, and she reminds me of a picturesque grandma.  She's always smiling and patting me on my shoulder, asking me how I'm doing.  Always makes me feel welcomed.

"Classy," I found out today, LOVES dogs.  I knew I liked her... the reason I found out is because, while we all were outside eating sunflower seeds (hard at work), she bought a danish and was feeding it to a local street puppy (weeks old)!  He was adorable and I loved her compassion for him.

The young lady who works at the canteen is "Jane."  I don't think she meets a stranger.  She has me as "a guest" (behind the counter) everytime I come to buy something, and is trying to get me to come over to teach her to make sushi.  I had no idea I was an expert :)  I came over today for coffee for a bit, and got to meet her friendly cat.

For now, the last, but not least is my wonderful helper, "December."  Voluntarily, she has sat in my English classes everyday this week to help me manage the kids (especially since I'm still learning Bulgarian).  She gives me tips, and makes sure the kids are listening.  I really appreciate her attitude and friendliness because she lost a toddler 6 months ago today.  My heart just goes out to her and her family.

Writing this post has made me even more thankful for my current situation.  It's not easy getting to know people in another culture where another language is spoken (many of our readers know exactly what I'm talking about).  But, these people have made these barriers seem not as draining, and they, sometimes, even seem to disappear.

Until next time...

0 comments:

Post a Comment